Potato + Leek Soup
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb leeks (I used 4 since it’s just me)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- heavy pinch kosher sale, plus additional for seasoning
- 3 Potatoes (yukon gold or russet work – I used 2)
- 1 quart vegetable broth (Or chicken)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (I used 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 table spoon snipped chives
- Chop the leeks into small pieces. Both ends off. Cut in half and then slice.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and let them sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and the veggie broth, increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and gently simmer until potatoes are soft, approximately 45 min.
- Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.
Side note: I didn’t need to add anything aside from the recipe. I added half the cream because I am usually not a cream fan but I LOVE potato leek soup. If you find that you don’t prefer dairy this soup will be just as good without.
Recipe found here.
Please let me know how it goes if you make it!