What you’ll need:
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked rice (I like to use spanish rice)
- 1 cup salsa (optional-I didn’t; use)
- 1/2 red onion [diced]
- 1 red bell pepper [diced]
- mushrooms [diced]
- 1/2 cup corn1 jalapeno (or poblano pepper), cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- avocado [sliced]
- salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
- queso fresco [crumbled]
- Start by greasing a cookie sheet with olive oil and place to the side. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise[DON’T cut off the ends (I made the mistake of doing that!). Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, hallow out the center of each zucchini. Lightly brush the tops with one teaspoon of olive oil then place them skin side down in the casserole dish. I reccomend dressing the zucchini with a little salt and pepper before filling with everything.
- Next warm the tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the peppers until coooked through. Then add the rice, corn, and beans along with the salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes then remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and then stir in 1/4 cup of the cilantro and salt to taste to the filling. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full. Sprinkle each half with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and set the oven to broil. Cook them for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes then top with fresh cilantro, avocado and queso fresco and serve.
Thank you Making Thyme For Health for this recipe! There were a few modifications but it was delicious!!
*This recipe can also be made without cheese and would be just as good. Anything with avocado and salsa you can’t go wrong! Enjoy!