These peppers were soooo delicious! I am so fortunate to have great friends who love to donate to the newtritionsavvy cause. I work near a local farmers market and every Sunday I am lucky enough to be given bags and bags of fresh produce…Sometimes it’s more than I can consume so I end up cooking for my friends. The great thing with stuffed peppers is that you can add just about any vegetable in your fridge and even add some meat for extra protein. In my opinion, they were just as great without it. Go ahead and give these a try…..I would say prep time about 15 min, and cook time 30. Enjoy!
Bell Peppers Prep:
- Large Bell Peppers
- Mushrooms (whole or sliced)
- Garlic clove (minced)
- Tomato (roma or heirloom both work)
- Jalapeño (optional for more spice)
- Chopped Dill
- Lemon juice
- Grated Mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Slice the bell peppers in half/clean out seads (set on baking tray)
- Slice mushrooms, zucchini, tomato
- Heat sauté pan to med heat
- Saute olive oil and garlic together
- Add zucchini and mushrooms and jalapeño with lemon juice, salt and pepper (only sauté to get a little softness to vegetable (you don’t want to overcook here because the veggies will finish cooking while baking.
- When veggies are done I add tomato (these will cook in the oven)
- Place the rice in the bell pepper, with veggie medley over the top
- Bake on 400 for 30 min (if they aren’t cooking fast enough you can up the temperature to 450)
- The very last minute you can throw some mozzarella cheese on top and bake until cheese is just melted
Lemon Dill Rice
1 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dried dill/or fresh (I prefer fresh)
1/2 lemon, juice of
1/2 lemon lemon zest (finely grated)
1 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper (to your liking)
2 cups water (chicken broth optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan
- Saute the chopped onion for 1 minute
- Add rice and “parch” over low heat, by stirring until the rice turns white again. Do not let the rice brown
- Add the rest to the ingredients and bring to boil.
- Lower heat and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff well with a fork, replace the lid and let sit for 5 minutes.