Happy Tuesday! I have recently been contemplating starting a meal prepping business and trying this out for some friends of mine. With that in mind I do have a disclaimer: I have been vegetarian for almost 10 years. Let’s not forget that at one point in my life I did consume meat on a regular basis but I wasn’t quite as interested in cooking as I am now. Now it seems like I cook more than I go out mostly because I enjoy it and because I don’t like to consume food full of high fats and calories! Don’t get me wrong I love to go out, but I also prefer hosting and cooking a little bit more. 🙂 I had someone ask me to prepare some meals for them so this is the first of many. I baked some chicken- to my surprise it came out really good (yes I had a bite). Who knew after 10 years I can still cook chicken?! With this entire meal planning in mind it applies to my life as well. I have been working out a lot and sometimes not consuming enough calories throughout my day- so it will be beneficial to my food consumption as well. The name of the game is planning. Yes it involves time but so does anything that you can see results from.
What you’ll need:
- 6 TB Olive Oil
- 2 lemons sliced and layed out on baking sheet
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- sea salt
- finely ground black pepper
- dried oregano
- 2 small red potatoes, diced up in med pieces
- cherry tomatoes
- 1 Anaheim pepper, sliced (clean seeds out)
- 2-4 boneless skinless chicken breast (organic)
- baby carrots
- 1 can chicken broth
- Coat a large baking dish with 1 TB of the olive oil. On the bottom of your dish, arrange lemon slices in a single layer.
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper In a large bowl. You will be coating all the ingredients with the olive oil mixture. Start with the chicken. Next, add the potatoes to the olive-oil mixture and toss to coat. Place the chicken on top of the lemon slices with the red potatoes. I add the tomatoes, peppers and carrots without coating (they will get flavor while cooking). Pour any remaining olive-oil mixture over the chicken. Add chicken broth (1 can).
- Cook at 350 for 1 hour – 1 hour and 15 minutes (or until potatoes and veggies look soft and chicken cooked through). Serve warm.
Happy Belated 4th of July! I don’t know about all of you but that was a relaxing and much needed 4 day weekend. It was a bit weird that 4th of July landed on a Tuesday but hey, i’ll take the extra day off! Last Thursday Soul Cycle finally opened it’s long awaited doors to the public. The anticipation has been for some months now with the original target date being in May. Of course if you are familiar with anything in Los Gatos, it usually takes light years for everything to be approved by the Chamber of Commerce so it’s not surprising that there was some sort of delay. Never the less, with the delay came a whole day of community riding on behalf of Soul Cycle! What does this mean? FREE classes all day. You don’t have to tell me this twice, anything FREE with Soul Cycle is an extra bonus to my day! With that said, since I usually travel to Palo Alto to take the class I rounded up a couple of my favorites to join in on the fun. There was no room for any excuses!!!! Los Gatos is CLOSE & the class was FREE so what more can you possibly want! I sent out a text to some friends and even called and signed them up so they could get the full experience without having to pay the usually $32/class. (I know, it seems expensive) When you actually put it into perspective that is the price of 2 glasses of wine, so you make the choice! For me, the money will be spent either way so why not spend it in a way that benefits my health!
Friday morning I headed down to Newport Beach with some girlfriends to hang for the weekend. The weather was a perfect 75 degrees. Sunday we rented bikes and rode from Newport to Hunnington….that was fun! We ate a few great restaurants: ARC being one of them [pictured above] and True Food Kitchen. If you have never been there it’s a MUST! For my local Bay Area friends they have one at Stanford Mall and it’s definitely work the trek. Check it out- it’s real food that actually tastes good. What a concept! I spent 4th of July with family BBQ-ing & cooking some favorites. It couldn’t have been a better end to the long weekend! I hope you all had a great time even if you didn’t venture out of town!
TGIF! Happy Friday Ya’ll! I had quite an adventurous week- well last 2 weeks to be exact. In between working a little I had some time to take Khloe to the dog beach (which she loves) and spend some quality time with a couple friends. Don’t be fooled, when Monday mornings roll around it’s business as usual. The alarm goes off at 5 AM, 5:15 and 5:20 when I finally force myself out of bed for one of my favorite workouts of the week: Boxing! I take this class at 6AM Monday’s and Wednesday’s. Since leaving my 8-5 people always ask why on earth do you still get out of bed so early when you don’t have to be up?? The truth is I am a morning person to begin with so I would rather be up early initially then sleeping in late. The second reason is the MOST important when any life changes happen…..DON’T BREAK YOUR HABITS! I emphasize that because your habits are what sustain your success whether it be working/career, working out, relationships etc. It is necessary when any goal is in place to stick to it and remember your WHY through the journey. I love to workout because it makes me feel better. I know that when I get up early (sure it sucks to wake up before the roosters) but not only will I feel more alive throughout my day but I will be inspired to inspire others.
Earlier in the week I stopped at Pressed Juicery to check out their new Vogue Magazine lemonade flavors. As usual they have the 5 juices for $29 so I went for it. I chose 2 of the pink, 2 of the blue and my favorite the coconut water, cinnamon flavor. I think it’s great throughout the week to switch out your alternative beverages for a healthy juice that doesn’t contain a lot of sugar. Sometimes we tend to think we don’t drink much (soda, alcohol, wine, coffee, etc – yes I am guilty) but we actually overload more than we should. So what should you do instead? Change it up!
With that said, I encourage you to find your favorite workout that gets you moving! After all, the hardest part is always starting. You can do it! Have a great weekend!
You guys! I am happy to report that last Thursday I finally grew some balls and had ALL four of my wisdom teeth taken out. I am the BIGGEST scaredy cat when it comes to the dentist but I have been so into getting shit done this year that this was pretty much at the top of my list for 2017! The main reason is that #1 my teeth have been crowding so much in the last year and #2 I really want to get Invisalign and straighten these bad boys out but my dentist wouldn’t let me until I had the wisdom taken away. Should you have a great oral surgeon the entire process I will admit is NOT terrible. (I can’t believe those words just came out of my mouth). Yes, it’s a little awkward at first when you get home and your mouth is bleeding so much but it stops within a couple of hours so from there on it’s just sore and healing time. I was put out for the entire time of the surgery (highly recommend) and don’t remember anything besides arriving and leaving- I wouldn’t change a thing.
If you are doing this in the near future I recommend you have the following on hand:
- Applesauce (this saved my life the second day, everything else was too thick). The first day I was too grossed out with the blood to eat.
- Pudding/Jello- These were okay for me for day 3/day 4 because I felt comfortable moving my mouth a little more and opening just a few cm wider.
- Pureed Soup- I made a potato & leek and a tomato soup for my recover. This was a lifesaver!!! It was filling and basically like baby food texture so it didn’t hurt my mouth at all. Both were able to be eaten luke warm and taste just as great.
- MEDS & ICE PACKS!! Make sure the doctor loads you up. I think this helped a lot considering I am saying this process was basically painless. I think at most your mouth is just really achy if the meds are wearing off. As for the ice packs make sure you have enough for rotation- this will help with the swelling and bruising of your jaw.
- A Good TV lineup! I caught up with the Kardashians and also watched all 5 episodes of Big Little Lies (A MUST!). You can also take this time to read- I am in the middle of Stacey Griffith’s book Two Turns From Zero.
I wish you luck if you have this done!!! Don’t wait- get it overwith! I can’t tell you the relief I feel and disbelief that I actually did it!
Good Luck! xo Sarah
Hello Friends!! My new obsession is a cross between pickling and loving avocado waaaay to much!! I recently gave a shot at pickling for my first time. After 2 weeks of letting the bad boys sit in the fridge and marinate I pulled them out and gave them a try on some delicious avocado toast! Who doesn’t love bread and more importantly who doesn’t love the green goodness!!! This recipe is super easy and you can put the onions on anything you like- eggs, sandwiches, tacos, rice bowls….you name it!!
Here’s what you’ll need for the pickling portion:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar, Bragg’s)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher slat
- mason jar
- red onion (organic)
Combine w/ whisk: vinegar + salt/sugar with 2 cups of water until fully dissolved.
Place onion slices in a mason jar or any container and add liquid until covered. Med size mason jar works perfect for this. Some recipes say to store over night but I left mine for 2 weeks and they tasted great!!
**If you make this tag me @newtritionsavvy!! Can’t wait to see! xo Sarah
I am entering this week in full gear but so ready to tackle new opportunities! About 2 weeks ago I decided to walk away from my job that was no longer serving purpose in my life. It was exactly that, a job. I am so not one to just drop everything and have the “fuck it” mentality but this had been weighing on me for some time. Pretty much since I started but continued to get progressively worse every month. Then it came for a year to hit and I realized I was not happy nor was I getting smarter going to work everyday. Every WORST possibility went through my head- what if I don’t find a job? What are people going to think? How can I just quit? CAN I just quit?! Needless to say, after weeks of deliberating I made the decision that I was going to get out of this crazy environment that I was surrounded by daily.
You never really realize how toxic something can be until you either take a slight break or come to your senses and say you’re not dealing with this crazy shit any longer. Long story long (that’s a joke) there was someone in particular that did not have my best intention from day one. Silly me, I am so the type to see all the signs and still try to give people the benefit of the doubt. This ranged from talking down to me constantly to just really not liking me and making it apparent for everyone to see. Luckily, I read so much and am a sucker for positive living- that I am literally trained on this which leads to spotting insecurity a mile away. I always encouraged and tried to make things seem better than they were but finally my inner self was like, SARAH!!!! It’s time to get OUT! There is no reason for anyone to let negativity be a part of your daily life. This is not to say that it is never going to exist or you won’t ever engage with people who have a problem with you from time to time but when you know that you gave it your best shot there is no reason to feel bad for making a decision to move forward. I have never felt more relieved that I don’t have to see this person ever again (hopefully) haha and if I do I will know that I made the right choice. It’s not always easy to walk away or demand better for yourself but I think we at some point we ALL reach that wit’s end and are then forced to make a decision.
So now, 2 weeks later, I have enjoyed every minute of having time to myself. I have worked out everyday, sometimes twice and I am really trying to focus on what it is that I want. After this situation I surely know what I don’t want. The lesson in itself is don’t be rude and don’t be an asshole to people. Your behavior everyday is a direct reflection of how you feel inside. I couldn’t be happier……like SO FREAKING happy!!!! Life always works out. I am in control and will continue to honor myself while growing and realizing more about who I am and what I want. Things don’t always have to be perfect. In fact, when they are not is when you end up learning the most. I hope if any of you are in a trying situation you really focus on finding the strength (and diving into the strengths you already possess) to realize YOU ARE BETTER!!!! Set an intention and then tackle it! Learn that failure is only a step in the right direction.
Goodbye comfort zone. Hello New Opportunity that awaits! xo Sarah
This last 3 weeks has kicked my butt! As soon as I got back from NYC for the New Year celebrations I ended up with the flu and then just when I thought I was better I am sick again! Sometimes when your tastebuds disappear the only thing that sounds good is lemon and salt (at least for me). You can only go so many days with food tasting like nothing. This soup is SO so easy and if you want a quick meal I suggest you give it a try!
What you’ll need:
- 1 tsp Basil (dried)
- Carrots (chopped)
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 lemon and zest + juice
- Chicken or Veggie Broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- salt + pepper
- zucchini (optional)
- chicken (optional)
- In a large pot heat olive oil, carrots, celery and onion.
- Add garlic and saute for just a few minutes.
- Pour in broth – season with salt + pepper + dried basil.
- Squeeze in juice of half lemon and add lemon zest.
- If adding zucchini or chicken add now and let soup simmer. (I like to bring the soup to a boil firs and then let simmer).
- Lastly, cook orzo separate for about 8 minutes and add at the very last. I don’t like overcooked pasta so right before serving you can add in.
Let me know if you try it!
- 1 lb Carrots (or however much you want there is no rule 🙂 )
- 4 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Thyme or parsley
- 1/2 tbsp Honey
Baking & Spices
- 3 dashes Black pepper, ground
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Butter, unsalted
This recipe is so easy!!!
Warm the butter up in a pan with the garlic on med-high until butter starts to brown. Once brown mix carrots in with the butter, garlic, add parsley and honey +pinch salt and dash of pepper. Spread out on baking pan- Cook on 400 degrees for 15-20 min. (Every oven is different- mine cooked quickly and carrots were soft after 12 minutes so keep an eye!!
Enjoy and Tell me how you like them! 🙂
Some things I learned in 2016. It’s not always perfect or the way you want things to be. Sad fact of life, this is how we learn and this more importantly how we grow.
- Work hard and success will follow. It’s no surprise that the more work and dedication you put into anything the better you will master your craft and reap the rewards.
- Life goes on when you fall in love and then fall out of love. It all seems so devastating when it’s happening – like we are never going to love again. But I actually believe that the more you love the better you are able to love the next person. Trust your heart and be as rational as possible. Not everything we think we want we are meant to have.
- If you want to fly you have to give up the things that weigh you down. Friends, Relationships, Job, Habits and most importantly FEAR!!! If it is not making you a better person and causing joy in your life it’s time to let it go.
- Surround yourself with people who awaken the best in you. When you have a good tribe you become smarter, like minded, and stronger instantly.
- Trust the timing of your life. If it is happening to you it’s because you need to learn from it. If it’s happening to you again- it’s because you HAVEN’T learned from it.
- RESPECT YOUR HEALTH. Respect your body. Stop treating it like shit. You’re not getting any younger and your body will not get any healthier unless you take care of it. Everyone wants to live the invisible life until illness happens to them.
- Practice the attitude of gratitude. The more time you spend on the good you find less time to focus on the negative.
- Have a plan. It’s easy to say we want something but doing it is another. If you want to travel book a trip. If you want to fall in love- let the old love go. Execution is what we focus on in 2017. DO IT!
- Love yourself more. Instead of wishing for someone else’s body, or someone else’s job or someone else’s life- respect and love yours more. After all, it’s your choice and your choice only to make better.
The most important one: I read this today.
10. Give up your need to control everything. Detach from the things that you cannot change and focus on the ones you can & know sometimes the only thing you are going to be able to control is your attitude towards something or someone.
“Some things are up to us, and some things are not up to us.”
Happy 4th day of 2017 ya’ll!