You guys! I am happy to report that last Thursday I finally grew some balls and had ALL four of my wisdom teeth taken out. I am the BIGGEST scaredy cat when it comes to the dentist but I have been so into getting shit done this year that this was pretty much at the top of my list for 2017! The main reason is that #1 my teeth have been crowding so much in the last year and #2 I really want to get Invisalign and straighten these bad boys out but my dentist wouldn’t let me until I had the wisdom taken away. Should you have a great oral surgeon the entire process I will admit is NOT terrible. (I can’t believe those words just came out of my mouth). Yes, it’s a little awkward at first when you get home and your mouth is bleeding so much but it stops within a couple of hours so from there on it’s just sore and healing time. I was put out for the entire time of the surgery (highly recommend) and don’t remember anything besides arriving and leaving- I wouldn’t change a thing.
If you are doing this in the near future I recommend you have the following on hand:
- Applesauce (this saved my life the second day, everything else was too thick). The first day I was too grossed out with the blood to eat.
- Pudding/Jello- These were okay for me for day 3/day 4 because I felt comfortable moving my mouth a little more and opening just a few cm wider.
- Pureed Soup- I made a potato & leek and a tomato soup for my recover. This was a lifesaver!!! It was filling and basically like baby food texture so it didn’t hurt my mouth at all. Both were able to be eaten luke warm and taste just as great.
- MEDS & ICE PACKS!! Make sure the doctor loads you up. I think this helped a lot considering I am saying this process was basically painless. I think at most your mouth is just really achy if the meds are wearing off. As for the ice packs make sure you have enough for rotation- this will help with the swelling and bruising of your jaw.
- A Good TV lineup! I caught up with the Kardashians and also watched all 5 episodes of Big Little Lies (A MUST!). You can also take this time to read- I am in the middle of Stacey Griffith’s book Two Turns From Zero.
I wish you luck if you have this done!!! Don’t wait- get it overwith! I can’t tell you the relief I feel and disbelief that I actually did it!
Good Luck! xo Sarah