You guys! I made these last night and they were so good….and EASY! You know I love easy cooking in the kitchen. There is nothing worse than having to slave away for hours. More often than not- less is more. I was browsing Pinterest (per usual) on what to make for dinner and came across these. Usually when I think of stuffed mushrooms they are meat based, but I made them in a veggie version. The recipe called for portobello mushrooms but tonight I was feeling like button mushrooms. If you feel like using portobello by all means it will taste just as great! (Just don’t forget to clean the insides out). If you decide you want to add meat I suggest using Italian sausage. Annnddd….if you want a little spice pick up some cherry peppers (next to the peperoncini’s @ the grocery store). Chop them up- add them to your mixture and it will add the perfect kick providing you like a little bit of spice.
What you’ll need:
12 Button Mushrooms
- 12 Button Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil (you might need more depending on how much stuffing you have)
- 1/2 med onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 heaping cup of breadcrumbs (I like Progresso/Original flavor)
- 1/3 chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped dill (can substitute mint if you prefer)
- zucchini/yellow squash (chopped finely)
- parmesan cheese (grated or powder kind is fine)
- salt & pepper
- lemon to garnish (optional)
- balsamic glaze (you can buy this at the grocery store or make yourself)
- Wash mushrooms and then remove the stems from the mushrooms and finely chop. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheet with olive oiled foil or parchment paper. I like to use these plastic liners – the cooked stuff comes right off (see picture above)
- Stuffing: sauce the onion in olive oil/coconut oil on med heat for about 4-5 minutes. Add the reserved chopped mushrooms, zucchini/squash, sauté for about 3 minutes then add garlic. Cook garlic for about a minute then turn heat off.
- In a separate bowl add breadcrumbs, sautéed onion/garlic mixture, parsley, dill, parmesan, salt, pepper and and more olive oil. (If you are adding meat I suggest using Italian sausage. Cook before adding to the mixture).
- Mix everything together- stuff the mushrooms and top them with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Plate and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Serve with lemon wedges. (optional)
I found this recipe here.
Good luck and let me know if any of you make these!