I can’t tell you how many times people approach me and ask, what are some things I can do to either lose weight or simply to be a little bit healthier. This makes me beyond ecstatic! Clearly, this might be harder for some than others depending if you are willing to give up the addictions we all have been led to believe are normal; sugar intake, meat and dairy overload, lack of exercise (or moving for that matter) and of course the cost of food….the cheaper the better, right? WRONG.
1. Consistency and Discipline are key. If you want to see any sort of results, stick with it. You don’t see weight loss over night. Just as long as it took you to put it on, it might take to shed.
2. Hydration: Most people mistake hunger for dehydration. (Ex: 140 lbs, drink 1/2 body weight = 70 oz. H2O)
3. Refined Carbohydrates: It’s true, these do nothing beneficial for your diet. If you see processed (anything packaged- white bread, white flour, white rice, crackers, muffins) stay away! These are bad carbs. We can reap the health benefits of good carbs by choosing carbohydrates full of fiber. These carbs that get absorbed slowly into our systems, avoiding spikes in blood sugar levels. Examples: whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and beans.
4. Sugar: If you are eating the Standard American Diet (which most are) you are eating added sugar. Things like juice, soda, alcohol, gatorade, frozen foods, white breads, packaged foods, candy, ice cream and frozen dinners all contain added sugar that don’t need to be put on the label. YES, you read that right. I am not saying eliminate sugar all together, but just take a look the next time you are preparing for you next meal. You will be surprised.
5. Working Out: There is no getting around it. You have to MOVE if you want to maintain weight loss. If you are not a fan of the gym, pick your favorite activity such as basketball, walking, hiking, pilates, yoga or tennis and get moving! Don’t make working out a chore, but rather a blessing. The better you feel, the more you will want to work out.
Try one of these or all 5 and see if you find a difference. There is nothing wrong with a little change, and trust me your body will thank you later.